Monday, June 16, 2014

Clean the coop day!

After a week of rotten weather, the coop was finally cleaned!


 First, all the hay was raked out:


 Then the nest boxes:


Lots of dust......:


 ..... and spider webs:


 And VERY dirty windows (ugh!):


All was swept nice 'n clean:


 A good sprinkling of dust mite powder:


 Got some on me, too:



 Clean shavings: (the bricks are to put the waterer on)


 Fresh hay in the nest boxes:


 Fresh hay and clean water in the coop:



Earlier in the morning I cleaned the run - it was a  stinky MESS! Hubby and I finally got rid of all the plastic on the back of the pen and the coop. It will go back up in December to keep away any cold wintery drafts!

Filled the poop cart up twice between all the gunk from the run and the coop. Everything is fresh and clean for now. It took three and a half hours to do ... now I'm pooped!


4 comments :

  1. I don't see any roosts.i have aroost of limbs at an angle kinda like steps its about three feet off the ground and under that is a shelf which I covered with stainless steel sheet I got at the scrapyard I have a short handled hoe and I scrap the poo into a bucket about once a week the poo goes rite to the compost pile makes compost fast your friend and old hillbillie truckwilkins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's there in the first photo - it runs along the entire length of the back wall - was just very dirty!
      Sometimes they hop up on the window sills and watch me bring breakfast. Their pen has two tree stumps to just jump up on (and for me to sit a spell) and a big branch in one corner for them to roost on. Good idea with the stainless steel sheet, by the way! Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting - please visit often!

      Delete