Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Tuesday ain't much better....

                                                          ..... still cold and windy out:

Taken at 2PM - the warmest part of the day!


Had to stuff hay in between the studs of the coop:


 This should keep any drafts out. The wind was terrible.


 Filled the coop, all the nest boxes and the pen with hay, too.



If they get cold during the night, they can snuggle down in the hay to keep warm. Lucy is not taking the cold very well this year. All she wants to do is stay in the pen. She's not sick or anything and is eating and drinking well, but she is getting older. I had Hubby get the backhoe out and dig a hole way in the back just in case she doesn't make it. While Charlie, Laverne and Shirley were out in the yard, Lucy stayed in the pen when I was filling it with hay. I held her for about 10 minutes under my jacket and she seemed to like it until Charlie called for her.

We ate dinner early and were done by 5 o'clock.Then I went out to put them in for the night, but they were already roosting in the coop. They had enough of the wind and cold!


2 comments :

  1. I always feel so bad for chickens when the weather turns cold. Looks like you have them fixed up very well. Do you have a heat lamp inside the coop for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can tolerate cold weather - it's the wind & drafts they don't like. There is a lamp, I used it a lot last year. I know when it's time to turn it on when their waterer freezes up in the coop!

      Delete