Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Another...

                                                                 .... cold, wet dreary day.


 It was raining when I let Charlie and the girls out of the coop yesterday morning. The new tarp and the plastic wrapped around the pen kept out all the rain. It was nice and dry inside and the only place that was wet was by the gate. I just threw some dry hay there to sop up the water.

It's dark here by 5PM so they are eager to get out of the coop. Laverne and Shirley charge out first, then Charlie and then Lucy waddles out. In the morning they get fresh water, chicken feed, cracked corn and if the weather is rotten, some oatmeal made with water and a bit of milk. They love it and eat that first and the attack the chicken feed.

Since it rained all day, I only went out twice to check on them before they went in for the night. And yes, they got their Cheerios treat! Didn't bother to clean the pen really good - just shoveled the obvious poopies. I'll do that today and put down lots of fresh hay for them to snuggle into.

 I put the suet feeder up on Saturday for the local birds. Not one has come to feed at it yet.
 

My neighbor has three hanging feeders, so maybe that's where they are going to eat. I'll leave mine up a few more days and see what happens. Last year we had so many birds that I had two feeders all winter long. I hope the cardinals come back; they're one of my favorites.




Do you feed the wild birds?

2 comments :

  1. We feed birds year round. Actually during spring and summer they eat about 60 lbs of seed a month. Hungry little critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We take down the suet feeders in the Spring because of all the bears. We do put the hummingbird feeders up for those lovely little birds. We get a lot of them year after year.

      Delete