Monday, September 1, 2014

Peppers



          Time to dehydrate the peppers!



These red one are only mildly hot.
They grew the best in the garden.


 Didn't have too much luck with the green ones this year-
got some, but had to go to the farmers cart to get more.
 

Five trays each for two days - that's a lot of slicing!



 The trays did look pretty and smelled good too!


This is how they looked when finished:


I'll use these all Winter long for stir fry, sauces and soup.


 

 My friend, the dehydrator!



Do you have one? I also use it for basil, mint and chives which I grow in flower boxes .



6 comments :

  1. I love my dehydrater....your peppers look lovely :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's messy work, but well worth it! (and I didn't cut myself - not even once - LOL)

      Delete
  2. Neat. Looking good. Need to post some of the dishes where you use them.
    One question, does this make them prepper peppers?
    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.K. will do - Thanks for the chuckle on the prepper peppers! :0)

      Delete
  3. Giggle, snort! Prepper Peppers. Love it.

    I've never used a dehydrator, but am tempted to try one. Here in Central Texas, we can grow any number of desert loving herbs, but it can be tough to grow vegetables on a small scale. I had some real luck with tomatoes grown in buckets. I used a water-gutter system similar to the one 'invented' by a guy in Michigan to grow tobacco. Great system!! Here's the link to his youtube video:



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRQzhFBCot4

    I hooked my rig up to a 55 gallon plastic drum, which I kept filled from rain, as it is a walk out to my garden and I didn't trust a hose to be pressurized full-time.

    Fair Winds!

    Cap'n Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sending that video! Would be perfect to put around the edges of the deck. Saves a lot of time hauling water and dragging the hose to the big garden! Lots of stuff to make with the dehydrator - even beef jerky. I have the seasoning, but haven't made it yet.

      Delete