Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Phone call..


Got a phone call from my neighbor yesterday morning asking  me to come over right away. Now.
Put on my boots and went. She said one of her chickens was acting funny and now wouldn't get up off  the floor. (I know) Went to the coop and took a look at her. She was a goner. Just died. Not sick or anything. Just one of those "chicken things" that sometimes happen. Her other two hens are fine and dandy.  My neighbor had an appointment and couldn't stay. I said I would take care of it.
I know she couldn't pick it up and bury it.

Hubby dug a hole with the backhoe and I got the hen. I checked her over and could not find anything wrong with her. She was healthy yesterday - in fact I was even holding her. She had no signs of worms, no mites, no discharges from her eyes or nostrils and was eating and drinking normally.  No egg was stuck - It was like her heart just gave out. She died with her head under her wing.  Sad, she was a favorite of mine. Always ran to greet me when I went over for a visit. She was only three years old.

Sometimes we don't know why they die. They just do.  It happened to me with Snowball. Went to the coop one morning and there she was - deader than a doornail with her feet sticking straight up in the air like in a cartoon.

That's how I'll probably find Ethel one day..........

4 comments :

  1. I hate the loss of critters that are like part of the family.... I would never feel that way about a (boid) but I know pp who do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a pretty little thing - friendly, too. Would scrunch down and wait for you to pick her up. Glad it wasn't one of mine, though.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps it was time for a autopsy? I've had several drop like that, and I think that it's just the way it happens with them and sometimes with us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neighbor didn't spoil them like I do mine, but they were well cared for. While she was gone, I cleaned out her coop and the pen and put down all fresh bedding. Didn't see any signs of snakes or other critters. At least she went peacefully - and my neighbor still has two hens left.

      Delete