Sunday, November 10, 2013

Whew!

Goldie is not happy being in the cat carrier. We had stopped at several small farms, but they did not need nor want a rooster. Even a pet one. We stopped at our local animal sanctuary. Nope.

Hubby is being kind as he knows I am upset. The "I told you so" remark is not spoken.

On the way home we pass another farm close to us. I spot an old woman weeding her garden next to a barn. She's a sweet little thing from a bygone era wearing a house dress with a large apron covering the length of her.

 
We pulled in her road and I introduce myself an tell her why we have stopped in. From the moment she saw Goldie she wanted him. She had several chickens running around, but no rooster. She said she missed the sound of one in the morning. I told her she would not be disappointed. Goldie would live in a lean-to filled with old trucks, tractors and a hay loft. And a lot of hens. All for him. I gave her a week's worth of the feed that he is used to eating. I said 'good-by' to Goldie and thanked her again. As we drove away, I felt the best that I have in days.

Goldie has a good home and I have peace of mind. It was a long but good day. I don't feel too guilty anymore.


4 comments :

  1. So glad Goldie found a home, and loved hearing about your neighbor! I'm happy for you:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mamahen! Those farmers have been in this area forever. Every Spring they have an auction and people come from all over to get good buys on farm stuff, animals and antiques.

      Delete