Friday, November 1, 2013

Waiting...


No calls yet on the boys, so looked up "How to tame a rooster". Not a lot of good advise out there, but some pretty funny stuff on what other people have done.

These are from "The Backyard Chickens.com":

Well, I know I'm going to get yelled at and probably called all sorts of names, maybe even start a fight or two... But the method that's always worked for me: Catch that nasty ol' roo, hold him by his feet, stroll over to the water tank and dunk his head in it up to his shoulders, then send him sailing through the air. He shouldn't attack you again. My great grandpa taught me that as a little kid, it's never failed me yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
agreed easiest thing to do is just chop his head off
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a newbie so dont listen to me... plus this is sort of differnt then your problem.  I wanted a few hens so I hatched a bunch of RIR eggs. Of coarse there not all girls and more then half are roosters...but that is OK I got my 4 girls   Actually from day one I knew which ones were roosters by how they acted of coarse I was not sure but I suspected who, and these were my first ones ever.  After a week of those little guys coming right after my hand I began to think when they grow up there gonna be nasty, so what I started doing was when one went at me and grabbed his beak, just held it for a second or two. to show him if you mess with the boss you loose.  There about 6 weeks old now and once in a while one of them thinks ok I am bigger now I can take him, time to test the boss... well they get the same result..they loose, I grab his beak and hold it for a few seconds if he still seems like he didnt have enough I grab it again.  I have to say these RIR roosters will prob be ok.... some of them are nice and dont mind if you pick them up or hold them.  I dont think I will keep any just because I dont want any more chicks but if one is a good boy he may get to stay.
 ~~~~~~~

 Seems like I'm not the only one with rooster problems - I hope I get a call soon!




2 comments :