Tuesday, December 29, 2015

If any of you gals out there....

.... are as old as I am, you played these games, too!



Remember all of the other street games? Hopscotch, Hit the clothespin, Giant Steps, Stick ball, Old Mother Gray,  One Potato-Two potato, Tag and so many others!

Usually we had to come in when the street lights went on, but on really hot nights during the summer we were allowed to stay outside and play. No one had air conditioning back then, but we did had a fan on top of the icebox and as the fan turned back and forth over a bowl of ice, it cooled off a wee bit.. And we survived!

Such innocent times. The best of times, really.

:o)

2 comments :

  1. I guess I am as old as you are! I remember in the 6th grade, for my birthday my parents got me 30 feet of rope. I took it to school so during recess, we had 15 feet of "double dutch". That's 2 ropes swinging at the same time. I remember having bobbi pins from our hair, 2, 3 or more pinned together, to make a swell throwing marker in hopscotch. Great times. Thanks for the memories. JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great uncle was a cobbler, so we had an endless supply of worn out shoe heels for our hopscotch games. Always carried a few of them in our book bags along with pieces of chalk. I was too clumsy to jump double dutch, but I was a great turner!

      Delete