Monday, January 6, 2014

Frostbite

It is bitter cold here in the northwest corner of Jersey. And I mean damn bitter cold. This is the daytime temperature during Saturday. Friday night was way, way below zero.

I had filled the coop with fresh hay and shavings and all but two of the nest boxes. No drafts could get in.


 When I went to let them out Saturday morning, Charlie did not come out of the coop at first.
When the girls were eating, he stopped by the door and just looked out. I was devastated by what I saw. The ends of his long wattles had turned black from frostbite!


 Also, one toe doesn't look too good. The girls are fine, they must have nestled down in the hay during the night. Charlie slept up on the roosting bar as usual.


I needed to check him over - but he just would not let me pick him up. I tried throwing a towel over him, but he was getting more and more upset, so I stopped. I wanted to put some 'Bag Balm" on his toe and also get a closer look at the damaged wattles. There isn't much I can do for him now. I've raised the waterer off the ground about a foot so that he can drink without getting his wattles wet. I've added electrolytes to the water and have been giving him extra meat protein. If we're lucky they won't attract the attention of the hens as they would peck at them. He is eating and pooping well, but shows no interest whatsoever in the hens. If he survives, the damaged part of the wattles will fall off.

Hubby installed a lamp with a 60 watt bulb in the coop today to keep it warmer in there. I feel so bad that I didn't ask him to do it sooner.  I am so afraid of a fire starting in such a small, hay filled place.

I've hurt Charlie. I am NOT a very good chickenmom.


5 comments :

  1. I'm so sorry....never thought i'd feel bad about a chicken.....but you did what you felt was best out of love n concern....That's all you can do :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the girls have not pecked at the frostbite. Charlie is in distress though. Still not interested in doing rooster stuff except for crowing. I guess it will take a couple of days for him to get better. I have learned my lesson - I know better now; warmth over hay.

      Delete
  2. I HATE being cold. I feel so very bad for Charlie and you, know how much you care for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the cold as long as I have the thermals on. Poor Charlie - he'll make it I think, Just going to take a while with lots of TLC.

      Delete
  3. I feel terrible about it, Mr. Townsend - I would never intentionally hurt my animals. They depend on me to care for them. I can only hope someone reads this and learns from my mistake.

    ReplyDelete