Sunday, January 19, 2014

Clean-up time!

Had not cleaned the pen and the coop really, really good since I had the cold - just sort of picked up the obvious poopies. The hole next to the ramp is where they were taking their dust baths.


d

I had just been putting fresh hay over the old - not really a good idea, but I was too sick to worry about it. Here is the coop nice and clean and fresh. Had to use the pitchfork to lift all the old soiled hay.


My plastic snow shovel finally broke and had to use the heavier one that I bought at a garage sale for five dollars. The handle on my coop rake broke too -  it is just taped together. Will have to buy a new one of those.


 My, oh my, that sure is a lot of poopie hay!

The grass seed bags are used to store the hay in - they keep it dry and rodent free.

Hubby hitched up the tractor and added the wagon load to our pile in the back. In another year it will make great fertilizer - if the deer don't attack it first.

And that is I how I spent two hours on Friday! So glad that I didn't put if off until Saturday - we had 3 inches of snow yesterday! Oh, I found two eggs in the bottom of the coop. The girls and Charlie enjoyed them!


2 comments :

  1. The coop looks good....know what you mean on the handles tho, just hard to find good strong handles on things these days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to fix the rake - it's just the perfect size to reach into the coop with. Looked for another one at Tractor Supply, but there were none.

      Delete