Thursday, August 4, 2016

Bath time!

During this hot weather it's important to keep our feathered friends clean and hydrated.

Here are some great ideas for your backyard:









Why do birds need a bath?

How many crackers can you eat without having a drink? Seed eaters, such as greenfinches, have dry meals and desperately need a drink to wash them down.
In fact, most small birds need to drink at least twice a day so being able to rely on a supply in your garden can make a big difference.
Birds need water for drinking and their feathery ablutions too - bathing and preening are essential to keep feathers in good condition.







Anything that holds water will do!


But it seems not only boids like to bathe!


 
https://youtu.be/qXgogStcXbQ

:o)




6 comments :

  1. Great ideas!! I am going to do a couple of these. Tomorrow I am going to Habitat For Humanity and getting an old bathroom sink...and going to do that one...LOVE that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sink one, too! A farmer around here had an old footed bathtub filled with flowers - wish I had taken a picture of it. It's not there anymore. :o(

      Delete
  2. Will keep my eye out for an old horn at yard sales too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of creative people out there to get ideas from! Wish I could think up stuff like that!

      Delete
  3. I just have a regular birdbath snuggled in amongst the Daylilies and Shasta Daisies so the cats can't sneak up on the birds without causing movement and alerting them of their presence. I have to scrub it out with a stiff brush frequently, but those birds just love the thing! When I'm working on it or just refilling it, they stack up in the trees watching me, all chattering excitedly, and when I'm finished and leave, they begin swooping down for a drink and a bath. What a circus!

    Hey...maybe Charley needs a bath for his feathers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love watching them take a bath! We have lots of bluebirds and they seem to enjoy it more than the robins. I should move mine to a more sheltered area though.

      Delete