Monday, August 5, 2013

What's This?

Found this tiny egg in the back yard near some bushes over the weekend. I always clean the chicken poo up after the girls go back to the pen (because I don't want to step in it and we definitely don't want Hubby to). They always scratch around and in the bushes looking for bugs - maybe they knocked it out of a nest. I couldn't see any as the bushes are very thick. We have a lot of hummingbirds, chickadees and robins around - could this be one of their eggs? Thought it is kind of late to make a nest as there was wet yolk inside.The fragile shell had dark speckles on only one end.

Any hints?



Hummingbird/robin/chickadee egg?



8 comments :

  1. From here:
    http://www.rubythroat.org/RTHUFactsMain.html

    EGG SIZE: 8mm x 13mm (.25" x .5"), roughly the size of a small jellybean

    EGG COLOR: White, non-glossy

    Based on this web site, Eastern Bluebird
    http://www.sialis.org/eggcompare.html

    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terry - it is a bluebird egg! Neighbor has a bird house in a tree, but that's about 200 feet away from where I found the egg. Maybe a squirrel stole it? (have bookmarked that site - lots of different boids up here)!

      Delete
    2. Maybe Nina stole it since you kidnapped her babies.
      Terry
      Fla.

      Delete
    3. She always did bite me after that..... :0(

      Delete
  2. I think that is a Robin Egg I have seen those and they are bluish(although it is very late in the year for one)... Blue jays are also notorious for stealing bird eggs btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my - now I don't know what it is - looks like the bluebird's AND the robin's egg! It's so little and I was surprised to see a yolk in it - the mystery continues...... :0)

      Delete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN6gS0KAqCE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good video - thanks for sending! I'll put gloves on and go through those bushes tomorrow and see if there is a nest in there. Chickenmom is turning into Birdhunter.....

      Delete