Monday, April 27, 2015

Eggs...

                                                     ... or lack of any.

Don't know what was wrong with the girls. I had a total of 3 eggs last week. They aren't sick and eat like little piggies.


 
 They have never eaten their own eggs, so I don't know what was going on with them. I found two eggs that were very thin shelled and just smunched in the nest boxes. I had to throw them out.

So I took a trip to Tractor Supply and bought this:


I cut out all their treats (poor babies) and added the calcium to their feed. I also kept a small dish in the pen for them to nibble on too.

Two days later, Laverne layed a giant egg. ( Sorry, no picture - I ate it) :o)

 Yesterday, Shirley plopped out this one:



The shell was like sandpaper and it looked like there was a little 'tail' at the end of it. Even though the shell was dented, the membrane was intact and there was a good sized yolk inside.

Hopefully I'll get two normal eggs today. Laverne and Shirley are only three years old, so I know they have another year or so of production.

When they reach henapause, they can take it easy and retire!


No comments :

Post a Comment