Thursday, January 8, 2015

Winter is here!

Bitter cold and windy yesterday - the only times I went out was to let the gang out for the day

Charlie inside the coop

and to change the frozen waterer for them. It was very windy, so the pen gate stayed closed.

They spent most of the day inside the coop anyway.



It snowed for a bit and the temperature dropped. I locked them in early and put some food and warm water in the coop for them. I don't usually put food in there, but they were going to be in there longer than usual because of the extreme cold. I worry about Charlie's bare neck. Laverne and Shirley will be fine - they have lots and lots of feathers.

As I write this (Wednesday night), the temp has fallen to 1 degree so far, the wind is blowing and the lights are flickering every once in a while. 'Hope the power holds. If not, Hubby has the generator all set to go. And we have plenty of wood to keep us warm!


6 comments :

  1. Charlie needs a rooster muffler. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I wish I could pick him up and put that rooster muffler on! Why he lets the girls pick on him I'll never know...

      Delete
  2. Stay warm, ma'am, and take care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rev. Paul - we're up to l5 already and the sun is shining! Since the wind died down, it's not really too bad out there.

      Delete
  3. Same temps here only about 5-6'' of snow first :/

    ReplyDelete