Monday, January 12, 2015

The weekend

Not too much to do outside with this darn freezing weather.




Saturday was bitter cold, but I let the gang out so they could stretch their legs a bit:



They didn't walk on the snow, but kept to the dirt path. There wasn't much pickings for them, so they got some Cheerios to munch on. While they were busy eating, I cleaned out the pen. The only good thing about this cold weather is their poopies are frozen and it makes it a lot easier to clean up!
As soon as I finished cleaning, they all ran back to get out of the wind. Charlie's neck is red from the cold, but he has no frostbite.

 When I went to lock them in later, they were inside the coop already. I guess they had enough
of the cold!
Just had to run back to the house and grab the camera to take a picture of the beautiful sunset.



Sunday was just the same.

Threw some veggie scraps for them to eat. Charlie likes tomatoes and cucumber shavings.


They came up on the deck, so I scattered some rice for them to eat. Charlie ALWAYS lets them eat first.


 Shirley and Charlie had enough and walked back to the pen. Piggy Laverne hung around looking for more.


More snow and sleet predicted for today - maybe those weathermen will be wrong again.....


11 comments :

  1. It's nice that Charlie is such a gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very protective of them. He misses out on a lot of goodies at feeding time, so I make sure he gets extra good tidbits when the girls are busy elsewhere. He likes to be hand fed, too!

      Delete
  2. I wonder if you could take the top of a men's white sock and cut off a bit and slid it over his head (I know...) and down to cover the neekid area? Probably a weird idea but it is the only one I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea, JMD! Every time I do reach to get him when I hand feed him, he gives me that evil eye, bites and attacks my legs with those spurs - for a little feller he sure is feisty!

      Delete
  3. I know, I had a couple of run-ins with a rooster on my grandpas farm and I am not interested in a re-match. Maybe your husband would be willing to help you a bit so you can do the task?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby doesn't like Charlie - I'm the only one that does. Maybe I can throw a blanket over him .
      (Charlie, not Hubby)!

      Delete
  4. lol, yup, probably better idea to throw the blanket over Charlie, no point riling them both up! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so tired of winter already :((...that sock idea sounds like it has possibilities for Charlie ....had to miss a pretty important Dr appt becase of icey rds..on a better note hubby's surgery follow up went well...and he is doing pretty well...:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with hubby n Charlie lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still sleeting out - and temps are in the high 20's. I never believe what the weather stations say it is here - It's ALWAYS a lot colder! Sorry you had to miss your appointment and hope you can reschedule soon. Good news on your Hubby's recovery - I know you are taking good care of him!

      Delete