Monday, October 20, 2014

More chickens?

Went to the Poultry Show  on Saturday at the fair grounds. I wanted to buy two more hens to keep Charlie happy through the long Winter.


 Lots and lots of Silkies there, but they are really too much work to keep them clean.


 My favorites are the "Naked Neck" chickens! Don't know why I like them so much, but I do!



 You just want to pick them up and cuddle them - would love to have a few but they require too much care. They wouldn't Winter well here in Coopville.


 This rooster was quite friendly!


 There was no name tag on the cage, so I don't know what this is.


These were all for sale.


 Another one with no name tag - but interesting! !


 This guy was just gorgeous!


 Plenty of ducks....


... and turkeys!




If I didn't have Charlie, this fellow would have come home with me!



I didn't find anything worth spending good money on. What was for sale, wasn't what I was looking for. The hens were older and a lot had their beaks clipped. Instead of just settling for anything, I'll have to try again in the Spring.

Charlie will just have to wait.


6 comments :

  1. Not real sure about the naked neck chicken. Looks a bit strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first they are, but they are just so friendly and easy going - they loved to be held and the chicks are just adorable! Would be good as pets in a warmer climate. But they sure would look strange while in a full molt!

      Delete
  2. Poor Charlie, no new companions for the long winter. I liked the black and white speckled hen. I'll bet she'd raise a nice batch of baby chicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many nice ones there - I'll post more pics for tomorrow. Prices for them were a lot higher than at the Spring show. Usually they have some chicks of each breed, but not this time. Charlie will have to save his strength for new hens next year!.

      Delete
  3. I don't know how it works in your area, but the feedstore here always has someone wanting to find a home for older laying hens. I loved them cause they knew the ropes, mothered the spring chicks, and still were laying. The Ameraucanas, Cochin & Jersey Giants where my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local Tractor Supply usually has listings on their bulletin board, I always look, but nothing yet.
      Love the Jersey Giants - could walk them on a leash! Charlie's eyes would light up if he saw one of those hens!

      Delete