Friday, May 24, 2013

Another idea.... (from my very expensive chicken books)

Try this:

'When it is time to put your chickens in for the night, put the older ones in the coop first. Keep your routine the same. After several hours and they are asleep, quietly put the new ones in the coop.
In the morning when they all wake up, they will think they have roosted together all night long'.

OK, I'll give a shot.  Night-night time comes and I shoo Ethel and Lucy in the coop. Oscar and Nina are in the hutch. I wait two hours and go back out side. It is now pitch black - no moon, no stars.
It is creepy out here and we have bears and coyotes passing through all the time. I pick up Nina (she bites me) and put her in the coop. So far so good. I go and get Oscar (he bites me),  put him next to Nina and lock them all in.

I tiptoe back into the house and have a nice glass of wine. All is finally well - until  morning when Oscar wakes up.

                  
                                    
                                                           

3 comments :

  1. Thelma and Louise just hated any new chicken I brought home. Pepper was just up and died in the night, squawking so I went out to see what was wrong. I watched her flopping and dying. Then, Ethel was killed by a raccoon. Louise had to be put out of her misery. Now, Thelma and lucy are great friends.

    Someone told me to squirt the one who picks on the other with a bottle of water. Well, I am mostly too far away to squirt at the moment of violence. Chickens don't understand 30 seconds later!

    If you don't put a follow button, I will never find my way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. It's : "coopfeathers.blogspot.com" (Blogger wouldn't let me use Chicken Feathers)

    ReplyDelete