Monday, January 9, 2017

It was cold.....

...... Saturday morning! It wasn't supposed to get THAT cold, so the light was not on in the coop for extra warmth. Poor Charlie and the girls! They got an extra ration of  oatmeal and raisins for breakfast to warm them up. I let them out in the yard while I cleaned the pen and put more hay down, but they ran back in by themselves when they realized I put the light on in the coop. It works wonders - it takes the horrible chill out.



It started to snow later - didn't amount to much although it made the stairs slippery:
 

 Spring must be coming soon - the first seed catalog arrived!


 I cracked open that huge egg Maude made. Yup, it was a double yolker!
 

 Used some of it to glaze the top of an apple pie. I gave the rest to the gang as a treat.

 Mmmmmmm!


Oh,  it was even colder Sunday morning:



:o(



8 comments :

  1. Thanks for the photo. Are you encouraging cannibalism? Good on you for keeping the chookies warm. Spring will perk them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have no clue where the egg treat come from, Granny! Spring will perk me up, too! LOL! :o)

      Delete
  2. I used to love getting the catalogs, but the deer won't let me garden anymore (OR the squirrels).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to garden using buckets this year Gorges. They will be up on the deck away from those dang deer!

      Delete
  3. Your edge of the nation looks a lot like my corner...single dig temps, 0 a couple of times at night, teens in the day, big snow yesterday.

    A pie to celebrate that big winter egg with! Chickens don't connect the dots unless they break an egg and then eat the contents. I used to crush egg shells to add calcium to their diets, and they never connected that to the eggs they laid either.

    Hey! The days really are getting longer, minute by minute. Things to look forward to...Friday after next, and SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was minus 5 below zero this morning - the ground crunched when I waled on it! The gang can stay out until 5pm now. Whoopee! - longer days are finally here!

      Delete
  4. OOOOHHHH, pie!!! I want a piece!

    Seriously, looks good and I'm especially glad you are getting back into the swing of things.

    Fair Winds!

    Cap'n Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better hurry Cap'n Jan! Hubby is holding his fork and knife already! Taking Tuesdays and Thursdays off until I feel better. Still tired, but gettin' there, but slowly! :o)

      Delete