Monday, December 22, 2014

Friday morning I was in the dinning room looking out the patio doors and saw this little feller
 on the deck:



There were splatters of blood and he wasn't moving. I put on my gloves and picked him up. He struggled for a bit then settled down. I check him over and looked for broken wings or legs. The only damage was on his head. He must have flown into the sliding doors and knocked himself silly!  I brought him into the house to warm up a bit and he rested in my warm gloves for about five minutes. Took him back outside and he flew to the railing, walked around a bit and then flew off.


Glad he is OK!


adult male, Eastern
http://birds.audubon.org/birds/downy-woodpecker


We get a lot of them at the suet feeder





2 comments :

  1. I'm glad things worked out with the little bird. It doesn't always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was lucky this time, Gorges. They are so delicate and tiny ......

      Delete