Thursday, August 7, 2014

Wednesday night

As you probably know, I set up all the posts for the next day the night before. Wondering what to write about for the 4pm spot tomorrow, which is Thursday. Most of the stuff is about things that I like. I try to make it interesting - sometimes it is and sometimes it ain't, depending what brain cell is awake. Now it's close to midnight and what few cells that are there are not cooperating.

At all.

Just sitting here and  thinking about how my world has changed (I'm pushing 70) and what the world will be like for my grandson. He'll be 17 soon. We don't see him as much as we want to and I miss him. So sad but so common now-a-days. His world right now is filled with school, martial arts, cars, friends and pretty girls.

What will he marvel at as he grows older?

 In the 40's we would run outside to see an airplane. If a jet broke the sound barrier with a loud boom, we would talk about for days. The ice man, the old man who would call from his truck to have your scissors and knives sharpened or the junk man with his old horse and buckboard ringing his cowbell for you to come out and get rid of your old items are mostly gone from everyone's memories. We saw men take off in a rocket and go to the moon - Remember Tom Corbett? It was only a dream back then.

  What memories will he have when he reaches my age? Will we have gone to Mars or even back to the moon? What will his life be like?  He's smart and has a good head on his shoulders and I think he'll turn out just fine and honorable. There are so many things I want to show and tell him. Let him know what really is important in the long run; we waste so much time worrying about useless garbage.
There is never enough time, is there? I guess that's been true for eons and always will be.

Will he proudly fly the Stars and Stripes from his home? Will he even own a home? Will he love our country the way we do? Will there even be an 'our' country or something else instead? I try to keep politics off this blog, but it's awfully hard to do that sometimes. There is no common sense anymore. When and why did that change? What happened to us?

My glass of wine is empty (can you tell?) and I'm too tired to go fill it up again - this will have to do for the post. Should I delete it?

I'm rambling again...damn, I'm getting old.

Sorry about that......




8 comments :

  1. Good post, you must have been drinking some pretty good wine. For goodness sakes don't delete it.
    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was! Maybe I'll leave it up just as a reminder to myself not to ever do it again.....we'll see.

      Delete
  2. Actually, that's pretty close to the same round of questions we ask ourselves, as I approach 60 (less than a year away).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess it's just human nature, Rev. Paul. By the way, 59 is a wonderful age - I remember it well. :0)

      Delete
  3. Great post...you have only a couple of years on me 64 in a few days.....and I ask those questions of the future as well for all of the generations growing up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, Mamahen! Our grandparents made it through the Great Depression and two world wars and it only made them stronger in the long run.They probably thought the same thing about us.

      Delete
  4. You're probably right, and thank you :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Hope you birthday is filled with wonderful surprises!

      Delete