Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Gettin' ready

This past Winter is finally gone (crossed fingers) and Hubby has started getting ready for next winter.



He knows that with each passing year, it gets harder and harder to keep our wood piles growing. So every day he splits some wood, stacks and covers it. We heat the house with wood all winter long.




He has two years stacked ahead and by the end of the summer it will be four! We have enough trees to last us until we kick the old bucket. Wooded property was one of the "must haves" when we moved.  

 Speaking of trees, here is my favorite one. We call it Old Gnarly:



 She has a few dead branches, but it does gets leaves. All the trees in the back are ours, too.



4 comments :

  1. You definitely live in a country with a serious winter when it's barely spring and you are already prepping for the next winter! Nice stack of wood, by the way. I love woodpiles, they're like money in the bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has to be done, CW. We are old and who knows how much longer we can do it - Hubby works so hard to keep us warm and cozy! Most people around here wait until winter comes and then it's too late and too cold to get wood. A lot of homes have 2 acres of lawn - totally useless. I'd hate to have their oil bills.

      Delete
  2. At the price of gas, I wish we still heated with wood. My wife insisted that it didn't keep the house warm and made too much dirt. I disagree about the warmth, but can't argue about the extra dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone likes to burn wood. It DOES make a lot of dust and dirt - I can sure vouch for that! But the savings on fuel oil is worth it to us. What I truly miss is a gas stove - I hate, just hate the electric stove we have.

      Delete