Friday, July 19, 2013

Uh-oh....

Going out to the coop, I hear a horrible racket. I run as fast as these short legs can get me there.

I open the nest box and pick up Nina. One egg is broken. It stinks. Wheewwww!

                                                                        prgrsvimg/th?id=H.5003242816012983&w=103&h=103&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90&rm=2

Just crushed shells and a stinky yolk. There is no baby chick.

 A dud.

I don't know if Lucy, Ethel and Oscar were fighting with Nina or they were being nosey and broke the egg or if Nina did it herself.

I put Nina in the pen to eat. The hatch door is closed so she can't get in while I clean the nest box, being so, so careful not to break the remaining eggs.  When I open the door, she runs in and makes the nest the way she wants it.

At least the broken egg wasn't fertile. I'll know in a few days if the rest are.


No comments :

Post a Comment