Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Damn - it was COLD!!!!!!

Hubby and I get up very early every day. By 4 o'clock, we hadn't heard Charlie calling for his breakfast and that is very unusual. Turned the deck light on and could not believe what the temperature was:

-5 degrees!!!!!!



 No weather statement said it was going to be that cold. The coop had plenty of hay packed in it, but no warm light. I was so worried about Charlie because the girls have been pulling his neck feathers out again. Wonderful hubby bundled up, went out to the barn in the dark and turned on the light for the coop. When Hubby looked in the window, Charlie and the girls were under the light trying to get warm already.

When it was time for their breakfast, I gave them an extra helping of warm oatmeal with raisins along with their regular feed.  They ate all of it, too! None of them had any frostbite, thank goodness!
It warmed up to a whopping 19 in the afternoon. Should start to get warmer today.


 I don't like to wear a hat, so this is what keeps me warm:


:o)



8 comments :

  1. Kisses to your Hubby for going out in freezing conditions to check on the Chooks.
    Merry Christmas and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He got a big hug for going out - he didn't want me to slip and fall on the ice in the dark! Merry Christmas to you and yousr too, Granny! :o)

      Delete
  2. It is only my total lack of photo editing skills that prevents me from changing the furry parts of your earwarmers to look like a pair of chickens!
    Someone much wiser than me once said, "If I knew I could be this cold in these clothes, I would have worn them in July."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't find a pair with chickens on 'em.
      Saw some with a Shmoo, though..... :o)

      Delete
  3. We got our blast last weekend when we dropped to 0.
    We've climbed to the upper teens now, 20's high.
    Happy Winter Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should warm up this week - it just got too cold too fast! And a Happ Winter Solstice to you too, Cuz!! :o)

      Delete