Thursday, February 18, 2016

Wacky weather and playing nursemaid

More snow:



 Then it warmed up to 52 degrees and it all melted; The little streams were overflowing:




 Usually there is hardly a trickle running:


'
 Charlie's frostbite - his wattles got it, too


 But it's not as bad as last year!



Made a run to town and got home just in time!



I had been standing out on the deck later when I heard an unusual sound - almost like a kitten was hurt. Went out by the coop and lo and behold, the noise was coming from Laverne!!  I tried to pick her up, but Charlie charged me (he does not like it when I pick up one of his gals). I chased him in the run and closed the pen gate. Still couldn't catch Laverne. She was making such a racket. Charlie was screaming and Maude and Sophia were squawking. Finally chased Laverne inside the coop. I climbed in and grabbed her. She sounded terrible! She wasn't sick, no watery eyes or discharge from her nostrils. I checked her over and noticed a lump in her neck. She swallowed something and it was stuck!  So there I am, sitting on the floor in a poopie filled coop, trying to get whatever was stuck down or upchucked. Dribbled some water down her throat and massaged that scrawny neck until it went down. She was fine after that and  thanked me by leaving a present all over my new jacket.

I am really, really getting too old for this........



6 comments :

  1. Had a dog. Got into the garbage. Got a chicken bone stuck in his throat. Managed to pull it out. He thanked me by peeing all over my shoe. Ingrates!

    Your Laverne story trumps my dog story. :)
    I'm too old for that sort of thing anymore, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your dog is ok - scary when pets are choking! The WORST I've had to do was at the other end of a hen. An egg got stuck and I had to go "in" and get it....

      Delete
  2. Well, it IS National Drink Wine Day! Celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminder!! :o) Gotta go now.......

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. LOL! Poor new jacket! Laverne is fine - eating like a little piggy!

      Delete