Tuesday, May 21, 2013

This goes on for about a month: Ethel and Lucy in the main coop and Oscar and Nina in the chick hutch. Everyone is happy. Except me. It's double the work keeping everything clean. I can't let the little ones out for long periods of time because there is still too much fighting. I wish the new ones would grow bigger, but they won't. They are bantams. Please do your research when buying chickens. I didn't and now it is causing problems, especially since they are not free ranged all the time. We have too many coyotes and other critters around here to allow that. I should have bought a comparable
breed to Lucy and Ethel.




                                        
(Finally figured out how to download a picture. Thanks to Irish suggesting I put pics in a new folder)

Ethel and Lucy on the left and Oscar and Nina on the right. Note chick hutch is still in the pen. I have to let the newbies out first to eat and drink and then let the other two out of the coop. There is always
a 'line drawn in the sand' with the four of them. They never get together and never get along. Ever.

2 comments :

  1. I have an Ethel and Lucy, too. When Thelma and Louise ruled the roost, Louise was mean to Ethel and Lucy. She would even peck Thelma is Thelma decided to follow suit and peck Ethel and Louise. When Ethel died and I had to put Louise out of their misery, only Thelma and Lucy were left. They love each other and stand together and wander together all the time. There is harmony. I have two little chicks that soon will be out there...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how that works - it truly is what the pecking order is all about.
    My poor Evil One (Ethel)! One day she won't be queen anymore. Even though she is nasty, she still is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete