Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

DO THEY MISS ME

(By Jonathan Stager)

Do they miss me at home, do they miss me
 It would be an assurance most dear 
To know that this moment some loved one 
Were saying, I wish he were here.
To feel that the group at the fireside
 Were thinking of me as I roam,
 Oh, Yes would the joy beyond measure 
 To know that they miss me at home 
 To know that they miss me at home.
When twilight approaches the season 
 That ever is sacred to song,
 Does someone reflect my name
 And sigh that I tary so long.
And is there a chord in the musick,
 That’s missed when my voise is away, 
 And a chord in each heart that awaketh
 Regret at my wearisome day 
Regret at my wearisome day.
Do they set me a chair near the table
 When evenings home pleasures are nigh, 
When the candles are lit in the parlor,
 And the stars in the calm azure sky.
And when the goodnights are repeated, 
And lay them down to their sleep
 Do they think of the absent and weep more
 Or whisper goodnight while they sweep
 Or whisper goodnight while they weep.
Do they miss me at home, do they miss me
 At morning, at noon or at night 
 And linger one gloomy round them 
 That only my presence can light
 And joys less invitingly welcome 
 And pleasures less hale than before
 Because one is missing from the circle
 Because I am with them no more.
 Because I am with them no more. 

6 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. It was written by a soldier in a P.O.W. camp during the Civil War, but I know EVERY soldier, past and present would have the very same thoughts. Heart wrenching.

      Delete
  2. Yes! It truely is... I had to share! I have a lot of Veterans in my family and my nephew is deployed in the Air Force currantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share it - lots of Vets in my family, too!

      Delete
  3. I hope he made it home. I wish they all could have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only info I could find on him Gorges, was that he was from Ohio 110th Infantry, Company B. He was captured in the "Battle of the Wilderness" and was at Andersonville. Can't find if he ever was released. I hope he got to go home, too. The poem was to his wife.

      Delete