Monday, March 25, 2019

Betty....

..... is still here, but getting weaker.

When I let them out Sunday morning, the others just pushed her out and she just stayed where she fell. Charlie did his stupid little dance around her and tried  to get her up. It was too cold out yesterday morning so I let her come in the house to warm up a bit:




She took some water through and eyedropper and ate a little bit of feed. Then she took a nice, long nap.

When it got warmer out, I put her back in the pen and let the others out. She got up and followed them, but slowly:




She scratched around for a bit and then made a nest in the leaves and took another nap:




Later on, I picked her up and carried her back to the pen and the others followed.  She slept most of the afternoon and walked into the coop by herself with the rest of the gang at dusk.

She sleeps in one of the nesting boxes. She's not in any pain or having trouble breathing, so I really don't want to put her down. I'll just let Nature take her course and hope for the best.

She's just a sweet little thing - loves to be held and petted. 

:o)



4 comments :

  1. All you can do is make her last days as pleasant as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...I'm sorry Betty isn't doing well:((

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since she has had a long life and isn't suffering, you are doing the kind thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - she was a very special hen - I will miss her!

    ReplyDelete