Friday, August 22, 2014

Friday Night Steam

Bells and whistles and steam! Oh, my!







A train whistle or air whistle (originally referred to as a steam trumpet) is an audible signaling device on a steam locomotive used to warn that the train is approaching, and to communicate with rail workers.
The older steam whistles were almost always actuated with a pull corn (or sometimes a lever) that permitted proportional (tracker) action, so that some form of "expression" could be put into the sound. Many locomotive operators would have their own style of blowing the whistle, and it was often apparent who was operating the locomotive by the sound. Modern locomotives often make use of a pushbutton switch, which takes away the fine control over the way the whistle is sounded.
Because trains generally have extremely high mass and relatively low braking friction, they are inherently difficult to stop at normal speeds. Some way of warning others of the approach of a train from a distance is necessary. Since train whistles were extremely inexpensive to institute compared to other more effective warning devices, the use of loud and distinct train whistles became the preferred solution for railway operators.


Sorry, someone keeps taking down the picture
View Source : schollengineshop.com




3 comments :

  1. I love your Steam Fridays! This one in particular has me mesmerized.

    Brings tears to my eyes, remembering back all those years to the old station in Rockville, MD (1950's) when my friend and I would sit on a side-board and watch those Big Steam Trains (Choo-Choo's) go by. There were many diesels by then, but there was still a lot of Steam. Smashed many a penny on those tracks and helped the engineers 'pull that whistle'! We never failed to get a wave from the engineers - and the brakeman as well. Modern parents would be horrified! HORRIFIED!

    But our parents figured life was dangerous, and the sooner we learned how to cope with all the various things in the world, the more likely we would be to make it into adulthood and beyond. Not for a minute did I doubt the love and care of my parents, and I will thank them for the rest of my life for all the lessons they taught me and especially, those they allowed me to learn on my own.

    Fair Winds and Following Seas!

    Cap'n Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incidentally, we have an excursion train here in Hill Country Texas called the "Hill Country Flier"

    It has an incredible whistle! Worthington 'S' or 'SA' type Whistle: Nathan 6-chime, brass

    Fantastic! Always, ALWAYS makes me smile to hear that sound!

    Fair Winds and Following Seas,

    Cap'n Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoy the steam posts! As kids we would play in the train yards until we were chased out by the watchman! There are no trains here where we live and I do miss the wonderful sound of them. Back in the late 40's we would take the steam train to N.H. to visit my grandparents. Will have to look up your train - thanks for the tip! :0)

      Delete