Monday, August 18, 2014

Canning

This box of tomatoes ....



plus this wire basket.....



turned into this:



If you are new to the mystery of canning, there are plenty of YouTube videos out there, but be aware your kitchen will NOT look as nice as theirs. It's messy, messy, messy work (but, oh well worth it!)

You can also get several canning books such as Balls Complete Book of Home Preserving at your library.

Or may I suggest you visit the Rural Revolution website (http://www.rural-revolution.com/) and download Patrice's books on water bath and pressure canning.( http://selfsufficiencyseries.com/) Both are excellent, tried and true guides and are only $1.50 each! It's almost impossible to make any mistakes if you follow her guidelines.


As the rest of the tomatoes begin to ripen, I'll be doing more canning. We'll probably also stop off at the farmer's cart  to pickup more goodies. It will be so nice this winter when I'll be able to have fresh tomatoes for my spaghetti sauce!







2 comments :

  1. I haven't canned in years ....makes me long for my mother's home canned tomato juice and cabbage. They were two of my favorite things growing up :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of work, especially if you do it all by yourself.- I have a tiny kitchen and cleaning up is the worst! Ugh!

      Delete