Monday, January 28, 2019

The tin man

Lost arts........




The traditional trade of tinsmithing demonstrated by Australian tinsmith John Yard. Filmed by DOP Kim Batterham with Mark Thomson for the Institute of Backyard Studies (www.ibys.org) and supported by the National Museum of Australia.







Tinsmith

Tinsmith
A tinsmith, sometimes known as a whitesmith, tinner, tinker, tinman, or tinplate worker is a person who makes and repairs things made of tin or other light metals. By extension it can also refer to the person who deals in tinware, or tin plate. Tinsmith was a common occupation in pre-industrial times.



:o)


6 comments :

  1. I wish I could work with metal. Wood can bend - but it's a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably cut my fingers off with the tin snips....

      Delete
  2. That is very interesting...Like you, I could see me minus a few digits if I tried that:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the tinsmith said it perfectly toward the end of the video. "I get a lot of pleasure out of making stuff."

    I can make a lot of stuff, but the work he did making the horn was amazing, and far beyond my abilities.

    ReplyDelete