Monday, August 27, 2018

Poor Betty!




 



Last Thursday the weather had been really nice and the gang was out in the yard for a long time (as per Friday's morning post). Later in the afternoon, Betty was quiet and just stood without eating anything else for the rest of the day. It happens sometimes and I didn't think anything of it.

Friday morning, she didn't come out of the coop - I though she must be laying an egg in the egg box. Still not worried about her. Hubby and I went to the store and ate lunch. Later on I walked over to the pen and did not see her. Opened the coop and there she  was - sick! I picked her up and she just went limp. I felt her crop and was just like a water filled balloon.  Oh, NO!  The dreaded impacted crop!!  Ran into the house to get a cup of olive oil  and an eye dropper.  Held her in my lap and used the eye dropper to force the oil down her throat and massaged and massaged that lump until she threw up. It was a mess! Did it several more times to get all the gunk out (it was mostly rotting grass). And boy, did ever stink! A couple of times she rolled her eyes and her comb turned blue. I thought she was a goner.



After a while nothing else came up and she fell asleep in my arms. Later I put her in the coop and she stayed by the waterer that I keep in there. She did not come out the rest of the day. Every time I checked in on her, she was sleeping  - poor thing was exhausted!

Saturday morning when I let them out for breakfast, guess who was the first one out the door? Betty!
She was fully recovered and back to normal - what a relief! None of them have been out in the yard since then  - maybe today they can wander around for a bit!

Charlie is starting to molt. Maybe that is why he is so cranky lately:


:o)

7 comments :

  1. Wow, You are a hero. I would not have had the knowledge or the stomach to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you knew what to do; I'd have had a dead chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. ChickenMom has the best instincts for what to do!
    Doctor Amazo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I absolutely would not have known that, with all the chickens I've taken care of in my youth (hundreds!!). Never heard of impacted crop! Dang!

    Glad your little pet is doing well now! New lease on life!

    Fair Winds

    Cap'n Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Betty is OK now. Regarding the picture, were you the "artist"? LOL
    I know how Charlie feels, I get cranky when I molt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had chickens when I was a kid around 10. I'm 72 now but I still remember gagging like a maggot when my dad would dress one of the chickens and opened up the crop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty is very quiet now and doesn't play well with Wilma anymore. I guess being so sick has slowed her down a bit. She eats and drinks well - that's all I care about. She can live out the rest of her life in comfort!

    ReplyDelete