Monday, May 14, 2018

Thelma

Poor Thelma had not been well for a few days. She was off her feed and had the runs. It was so bad Thursday that I had to bring here into the house and wash her. Here fluffy butt was just caked with poo. Most of of the feathers had to be cut off. I wrapped her in an old shirt and kept her in my lap until she was dry. Friday she was the same. I gave her extra special attention and some medicine and she stayed in my lap again and slept. I carried her to the coop and placed her in one of the nest boxes to rest.

Saturday morning I found her like this:



Hubby taking her to be buried:


All covered up:





What is left of the gang. Charlie kept calling for her. He knew one of his girls was  missing:




Thelma was a really sweet hen and only a year old. Sometimes it just happens for no reason that we can see. Its all part of having them around. At least I know she had a darn good life!

Don't know yet if I'll replace her ....














10 comments :

  1. I'm sorry for your loss...It doesn't sound like you got a lot of rest yourself:((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mamahen. I always feel badly when I lose one.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Gorges. She was a really good hen - always eager for a treat!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Vicki. I always wonder if I could have done more. Louise keeps running in the coop to look for her. Betty doesn't miss her at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. Thelma had the best Chicken Mom ever! Which hen is the oldest and how old is Charlie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anon! Maude is the oldest hen now and Charlie will be seven years old on 5/22.

      Delete
  5. Aw, I'm saddened by this.
    I was so amazed by the different rates chicken lives play out.
    Some make it for years, even after they stop laying. Others...not long at all. Thelma knew the comfort of a lap and petting before she left.

    RIP, Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cuz! You just never know how long they will live - that's the sad part of having them. But they bring so many smiles while they are here! I'm glad I picked her out of a bunch of hens that were for sale - she had a good, pampered life!

      Delete