Monday, June 23, 2014

On this day.......

1969 Stanley Andrews actor (Old Ranger-Death Valley Days), dies at 78 







(from: http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/heritage/death-valley-days/)


Anybody who grew up in the '50's &60s probably remembers the western Death Valley Days. It started in 1930 on radio, and moved to television in 1952, running for 23 years with the Pacific Coast Borax Company as its sponsor.

For the first 12 years, the show was hosted by a character called “The Old Ranger” played by Stanley Andrews. In 1964, Ronald Reagan took over as host and also appeared in acting roles. It was his last professional work as an actor before entering politics.

One of the longest-running television series, the show was filmed in and around Death Valley.

As the continuing sponsor, the U.S. Borax and Chemical Corporation (which Pacific Coast Borax Company became following a merger) was given a Special Trustees Award as part of the Western Heritage Awards ceremony. The series was also honored with awards from governors and historical societies.







By the 1940's, 20 Mule Team #Borax was marketed primarily for its use in cleaning laundry, while #Boraxo was marketed as a hand soap.




How many of you remember the T.V. show?




4 comments :

  1. Not only do I remember the show, I had one of the models. So I looked and they are available again. Along with instructions on how to drive. Some things I had never thought about.
    http://muleteamkits.com/
    I may just have to order one. Don't remember how old I was when I had it but it was probably in the mid 1950's.
    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't laugh - I had one too AND I looked it up on E-bay! It was back in the 50's - I was totally crazy about anything Western. I had all Gene's, Roy's, Hoppy's and Red Rider's stuff-even the BB gun!
      Still have some horses and riders from the very first Fort Apache set. Betcha I could find one of those old mules in that box, too!

      Delete
  2. Yep, I remember those days. (Had to click your link in my reading list to get here, BTW!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one show we always watched - love a good western!

      Delete