Monday, July 20, 2020

The amazing Pelican!





In the late 1900’s and the early 2000’s Pelicans were hunted extensively for their feathers that were used to trim women’s clothing, especially their hats. In 1903 in an effort to protect the birds by reducing the threat of plumage hunters to their survival, President Theodore Roosevelt, who had strong conservation ethics, designated Florida’s Pelican Island the United States first bird reservation. This was the first time the federal government had set aside land for the sake of wildlife and Pelican Island was the forerunner of what would become the United States’ national wildlife refuge system.
Gulls, especially Heermann’s Gull ( Larus heermanni), frequently steal fish from the pouches of Brown Pelicans.

Marine predators such as sharks, salmon, and dolphin, play a part in the meal plan of California Brown Pelicans. The pelicans often rely on the actions of these predators to force schools of fish to the surface where they can catch them easily.







 :o)



7 comments :

  1. A peculiar old bird is the pelican
    Whose beak can hold than his belly can.
    He can hold in his beak enough fish for a week
    But I still don’t know how in the hell he can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that every time I see a pelican, every time.

      Delete
    2. That was one of my mom’s favorite limericks. (Another was about some young lad from Nantucket ..... 😉)

      Delete
    3. LOL to all! Don't have any of those birds where I live, but I know the little poem! My Dad knew a whole bunch of those limericks - Mom didn't like them, but us kids did! :o)

      Delete
  2. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr agaba who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr agaba send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr agaba, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr agaba did it for me, contact him Dragabasolutinhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete