Saturday, March 19, 2016

At the Hop!

The Shirelles!




The Shirelles
The Shirelles 1962.jpg
The Shirelles in 1962. Clockwise from top: Addie "Micki" Harris, Shirley Owens, Beverly Lee, and Doris Coley.
Background information
Also known as The Poquellos, Shirley & the Shirelles
Origin Passaic, New Jersey, US
Genres R&B, rock and roll, doo-wop, pop, soul
Years active 1957–82
Labels Tiara, Decca, Scepter, Bell, RCA; UK: Top Rank, Stateside, Pye International

Past members Shirley Owens
Doris Coley
Addie Harris McPherson
Beverly Lee




From Joisey!


:o)




5 comments :

  1. This post brought up some memories.
    I also suggest a listen to these versions:
    The Four Seasons
    Carole King
    Leslie Grace
    And a poignant one by Amy Winehouse

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This 'hit the waves' when I was just starting my adventures as a teenaged 'girl geek' (I was a math savant). -I second John - Carol King's version. She wrote it! Along with her husband Goffin, just about everything else from that era. Well, also Neil Sedaka. The Brill writers were amazing. The 'boss man' would come in and say "We need a #1 hit this week". They'd write one. The song "O, Carol!" was, I believe, Neil Sedaka's tribute to Carol. There was a comeback "O, Neil", that Carol sang. WHAT a powerhouse writing group they were.

    Anyway, I am not much of a 'groupie', but I have real appreciation for those folks. Stephen Stills. ;->

    Fair Winds,

    Cap'n Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, should have said "And Stephen Stills".

    -Cap'n Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of great timeless songs from back then. I still remember the words to those songs! :o)

      Delete