Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Need computer help :o(

I have a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5350 laptop. I bought in March, 2013. When the power cord is plugged in, the battery icon says it is 100%  fully charged. When I unplug it to bring it to another room, the entire laptop shuts down. Kaput. It won't reboot until I plug the power cord in again.

(The battery setting is set to "shut down" only when I push the power on/off button and "sleep" when I close the lid.) The Toshiba 'Health battery monitor' states the battery is good, charged 100 % and is  working properly.

I've looked on the internet and tried all the fixes I could find and understand -  still nothing worked. I even restored it back to the factory settings. (Grrrr)

I would appreciated any suggestions you can offer!

Thank you!

My Photo
Chickenmom




UPDATE:

Seems the battery is my problem - I always kept it "plugged in"  (which I should have not been doing) H/T to Irish for that info - will get a new one next week!  Thank you kind readers for all your suggestions and e-mails!

Chickenmom  :0)



9 comments :

  1. Don't you have any neighborhood kids that could fix it? Hopefully Irish will have an answer.
    The only simple minded thing I can think of is it almost acts like the battery is disconnected internally. I say almost because it is reporting the battery is ok. Try removing the battery, looking at the contacts, and re installing it. When you have the battery out wipe off the contacts with a clean, dry cloth.
    A shot in the dark, apologies to the Pink Panther.
    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did all that (sigh) - cleaned the contacts on the battery pack and the contacts in the laptop. The battery pack itself is working - slightly warm to the touch as it always has been. Took off the back cover to see if the internal battery was loose - it was fine. Dang laptop is only a year old. I should have spent the extra money and bought an HP.....

      Delete
  2. About 1/2 lb of C-4 oughta take care of it ;-) Old military adage: 'there is no problem that cannot be resolved through a suitable application of high explosives'.
    I'd try the neighborhood kid route first though, them kids can fix pert near anything computer related, anything else, not so much!

    OTB MCPO sends...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like using it - It's been two days now. - it works. but I'm chained to my desk while using it. There are just little kiddie-poos around here - no teenagers. Darn!

      Delete
  3. Quick input until tomorrow :-) it sounds like the battery isn't holding a charge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might be worth trying a new battery. Don't get a cheap one. Get the rigt factory battery. I notice on my laptop that if you leave them plugged in they kill the battery. You should charge it fully gjen unplug and run the battery down to cycle it. Same with cellphones I'll check in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I am dense. Do you mean the little round battery inside? Or the battery pack attached underneath the laptop? Is that the one that needs replacement? If I unplug the plug in battery charger, the laptop won't turn on at all. If its just a battery problem I can order one from Amazon. I just hope it's not a board or something worse.

      Delete
  5. Most likely the large one. If you want email me some pictures of the laptop and battery. Also the model number to get the right one. I would definitely get a factory toshiba battery

    ReplyDelete
  6. `OK - will send it through my AOL mail .Thank you, kind sir!

    ReplyDelete